Duration: 5 Days
Tour Type: Walking
Max.Height : 1,900 msnm
Group sizes: +2
Fisica Level: Moderate
Salkantay Trek 5 Days + Machu Picchu
Salkantay Trek 5 Days.- The name of this mountain is a contraction coming from Salqa, which means unsociable, arid or wild, which means that it sometimes produces avalanches; this is an alternative route of the Inca Trail for those who could not reserve the other due to its availability.
Salkantay Trek 5 Days.- We have considered this route as one of the best alternatives due to the beautiful flora and fauna that you will be able to appreciate along the way and the tranquility of the place that will make you enjoy, meditate and be in contact with the nature that surrounds you. The mountain of Salkantay has an altitude of 6721 masl compared to Machu Picchu which is at 2400 masl.
Salkantay Trek 5 Days.- The legendary route from Salkantay to Machu Picchu has been nominated by National Geographic Adventure Travel Magazine as one of the top 25 routes in the world. The city of Mollepata, Cusco with Machu Picchu, and Salkantay Trek are beautiful ancient treasures that are outside the traditional route but in the same area, like the Inca Trail, where you can see the great snow-capped mountains that combine with the abundant rainforest.
Salkantay Trek 5 Days.Enjoy this magnificent Snow Mountain; Duration: This route from Salkantay to Machu Picchu has been nominated by National Geographic
Salkantay Trek 5 Days + Machu Picchu(5D/4N)
- Duration: 5 days/4 nights
- Distance trekked: about 74km/45.98 miles
- Elevation: 1900m/6,233ft-4600masl/15,091ft
- Difficulty: Moderate
- Group size: 2 person minimum – 12 person max- we focus on the experience, and don’t run with large groups to keep the trek intimate and enjoyable. (Private options available upon request).
Day 1: Cusco – Mollepata (Challacancha) – Soraypampa
Salkantay Trek 5 Days.- At 5:30am you will be picked up from your hotel in private transport to take you to the beginning of your alternative Inca Trail trek. You will pass the village of Mollepata (3000m) before heading towards Challacasa (3600m) where we will meet with the muleters and the horses in order to start the trek. From here our trek begins winding through an amazing valley while surrounded by the snow-capped peaks of Humantay (5450masl) and Salkantay (6271masl). In the afternoon we will reach to our first campsite at the scenic site of Soraypampa (3912masl).
Here you will enjoy a buffet dinner prepared by high class chefs in a spacious dining tent. With dinner you will receive hot wine to help you unwind from your strenuous day. Enjoy your first night sleeping under the tranquility of the Andes’ sky in your cozy homey tents.
Day 2: Sorayapampa – Salkantay Pass – Challway
Salkantay Trek 5 Days.- Early, after a delicious breakfast with Andean products, you will begin your second day of trekking towards Machu Picchu. This is a challenging day as you will hike towards the Humantay Lagoon and then to the Salkantay pass (4600masl). All day you will have spectacular views of the towering snow covered peak of Salkantay (6271masl). As we continue on the trail you will notice the abundant and exuberant diversity of endemic vegetation of the area. After crossing the Salkantay Pass, we will enjoy a delicious lunch and then continue with the descent towards our second camp site called Challway (3000m), where you will be enjoying the warm climate of the tropical forest.
This night you will enjoy a gourmet dinner, wine, surrounded by colorful flowers, It is important to mention the presence of mosquitoes, so it is recommended to use repellent! Likewise you can enjoy a hot shower offered by local people.
Day 3: Challway – Wiñaypoco – La Playa
Salkantay Trek 5 Days.- Early following, nourishing breakfast, you will begin the most beautiful day of the trek where you will see the region’s magnificent flora and banana plantations. Our trek descends into a thick cloud forest that will surround you with orchids, bromelains, and other amazing local flora.
After, we will come upon a secluded valley filled with expansive coffee, cacao and fruit plantations. Our path takes us through the farming villages of Wiñaypoco (2650m) and La Playa (2100m) where you will encounter local families and get a chance to speak to them and learn about their lifestyle.
Tonight we will camp in the warm village of La Playa where you will enjoy your last dinner of our chef.
Day 4: La Playa – Llactapata – Hdroelectric – Aguas Calientes
Salkantay Trek 5 Days.- In the morning after breakfast we will follow an uphill trail towards the Llactapata archeological place (2700masl). From this site you will have a great view of the distant Machu Picchu Mountain and will be surrounded by lush greenery and variety of flora.
After enjoying the archeological site and the breathtaking views, we will start descending towards the hydroelectric of Machu picchu(1950masl) where we will have the last lunch with our magnificent chef, say good bye and continue the trek to Aguas Calientes town (At the Hydroelectric train station you have the option of taking the train the rest of the way for an additional cost) 2000masl. Upon arrival at Aguas Calientes in the afternoon, your guide will drop you off at your hotel, where you will spend the last night of your tour.
Day 5: Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu – Cusco
Salkantay Trek 5 Days.- Today very early you will leave your hotel with your guide in order to aboard the bus that will transport you up to Machu Picchu (2,400masl) citadel. Upon arriving at the archeological site you will get an approximately 2 hour private tour of this amazing Lost City of the Incas. Your guide will explain you all about the history of Machu picchu and culture of the ancient Incas.
After the tour you will take the bus back down to Aguas Calientes to catch your train in order to return to Cusco. Upon arrival back in Cusco you will be picked up from the train station (Poroy 30 minutes from the city) and transferred back to your hotel for the night.
The day of your departure transfer out to the airport or bus station.
End of our services.
Included in the Trip:
- At your arrival to Cusco, pick up from the airport to your hotel (Company courtesy).
Briefing a day before the trek.
- Pick up at your hotel in Cusco.
- Experienced tour guide fluent in English, Spanish and Quechua. Our guides are equipped and trained to practice First-Aid, administer oxygen if needed, and conduct radio communication.
- Camping equipment (tents for 2 people, sleeping mat, cooking equipment, cooking tent).
- Cook, muleteer, horses and mules (they carry camping equipment and 4kg of personal equipment per person).
- 4 x breakfasts, 4 x lunches, 4 x dinners (meals including hot drinks, vegetarian options available upon request).
- Transport Cusco – Mollepata
- Basic Hostel in Aguas Calientes.
- Entrance ticket to Machu Picchu.
- Bus tickets Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu– Aguas Calientes
- Guided tour in Machu Picchu (2 hours approximately).
- Train ticket Aguas Calientes – Ollantaytambo.
- Transfer Ollantaytambo – Cusco.
Not Included in the Trip
- Sleeping bag or trekking poles (can be rented from us).
- Water and snacks.
- First breakfast, last lunch and dinner.
- Tips for cook, mulateer and your guide (optional).
- Personal expenses.
LIST OF THINGS YOU SHOULD TAKE IN THE BACKPACK
- Original passport.
- ISIC card (students).
- Extra money for emergencies and optional activities.
- Sleeping Bag.
- A good size daypack or backpack
- Comfortable shoes / hiking boots
- Sandals or Flip Flops (for the hot springs and to wear at the campsites).
- Comfortable long trousers, Shorts, T-shirts
- Warm clothes for the night
- Wind and waterproof jacket
- Hat and gloves
- Swim wear
- A small towel
- Sun block
- Insect repellent
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Toliet paper
- Camera and batteries
- Flashlight (there is no light at the camp sites)
- A water bottle
- Water purification pills (if desired)
- Snacks such as fruit, sweets, cookies, granola, nuts.
- Entrance to Huayna Picchu mountain: US$ 20.00 (book in advance).
- Entrance to Machu Picchu mountain: US$ 20.00 (book in advance).
- Zip Line: US$ 30.00
- Sleeping Bag: US$ 20.00
- Hiking poles: US$ 5.00
Price per person in Shared Service:
$ 430 dollars
Price per person in Private Service:
Price per person based on the number of people per group, in US dollars.
- 2 people: $ 660.00
- 3 – 4 people: $ 630.00
- 5 – 6 people: $ 590.00
- 7 + people: please contact us for a special price.
We need a minimum of 2 people to run the tour in private service.
- Students:$ 20.00 (Students require a valid International Student Identity Card – ISIC).
- Teenagers: $ 20.00 (up to 17 years of age, a copy of the passport is required for all reservations).
- Children: $ 20.00(up to 7 years old, passport copy required for all reservations).
If you want a better category hotel, better category train (Vistadome or Hiram Bingham), national and international air flights or other tours, please let us know.
Hike to Salkantay
Salkantay is located in the Vilcabamba mountain range, department of Cusco, and rises to 6271 meters above sea level, is the Apu and snow-capped tutelary of the city.
To get to it, you will cross beautiful Andean landscapes, exist the possibility of observing Condors and Alpacas in their natural habitat. You will enjoy the natural hot springs from the depths of the earth also will appreciate the different fruit plants and a great variety of orchids.
The Vilcabamba mountain range, where the Salkantay massif is located, is a beautiful and lonely area. Dominated by the same Apu Salkantay, has numerous snow-capped mountains of great elevation, like the Tucarhuay (5,910 m.a.s.l.), the Veronica (5,682 m.a.s.l.) and the Huacayhuilca (5,361 m.a.s.l.), among others.
The geography is difficult and capricious all around this attractive mountain complex. The Salkantay is surrounded by deep valleys and ravines, which makes its route interesting but at the same time exhausting.
Although the difficulty of this Trek is slightly higher than the Inca Trail, it is not a high level Trek either. Indeed, it is longer (5 days instead of 4, but if you do not have enough time, it is possible to do the trek also in four days), higher, wilder, but that is also more interesting.
This Trek does not disappoint to the lovers of nature, the emotions that make you feel vulnerable, alone in the world are unique…to feel alive!.