There are two train companies that provide transportation service to Machu Picchu, PERURAIL and INCA RAIL. The use of this service is vital to be able to arrive to the Inca City of Machu Picchu, especially in rainy seasons, time in which access by road becomes somewhat insecure, due to certain natural events caused by rainfall during the months of December to March. The indications that we give below will serve you in both cases; nevertheless, the information is based on the service provided by the company PERURAIL.
Recommendations that you should keep in mind, when buying your train ticket to Machu Picchu
- Machu Picchu is a destination of high demand, so you must book your train ticket to Machu Picchu at least 20 days in advance.
- Inform staff of the train company, in case of having any physical disability or special medical condition, as in some cases, the staff of the train company will prevent you from boarding the train, if they consider that your health may be affected during trip.
- In no way will you be allowed to enter the car without presenting your valid ID or Passport; in case of not having any of them, the staff of PERURAIL (or INCARAIL) will prevent you from boarding the train; remember that train tickets are not refundable.
- In case you want to cancel your trip, be sure to do so at least thirty days in advance, since the shorter the time between cancellation and your trip, the amount of penalty will be higher; In addition, if you do not make the cancellation on time or do not show up on the day of the trip, you will lose your train tickets.
- Remember that in the event of events that are beyond the control of the company, delays, reprogramming or even the cancellation of itineraries may occur. Among the possible disadvantages are natural disasters, very unfavorable weather conditions, or even technical failures or strikes.
- In case you want to change the date of your train ticket, you can do so up to 24 hours before the scheduled time on your ticket, after this time there is no possibility of cancellation or change.
- If you want to change the date of your ticket, you must do so directly at the offices of PERURAIL, with your identity document or passport and your printed train ticket. Do not forget that the rescheduling date is subject to the availability of tickets for the following 7 days, after paying the penalty at the offices of PERURAIL in the city of Cusco, they will give you a proof of change, this must be shown next to the ticket train at the time of boarding; You can change your ticket only once
Passengers traveling from Cusco – Machu Picchu between January and March
As part of PERURAIL’s security policies for the rainy season, the company has temporary (temporary) stations and variations in train services, modifying routes, or transferring passengers by bus to said stations (bimodal service). So if you already book your ticket for these dates, we recommend you read about Train Service, January – April 2016
We have no information about any modification in the case of the INCARAIL company during this season; however, you should be aware of the information posted on your website.
Types of service
Both PERURAIL and INCARAIL companies have multiple types of services ranging from economy class, to exclusive service trains, such as Hiram Bingham (one of the most luxurious trains in the world, belongs to the company PERURAIL), or the presidential service of the Inca Princess in the company INCA RAIL.