Tips for traveling to Machu Picchu.- The beautiful, Machu Picchu is a destination that all Peruvians should know and the main destination for all international tourists, so here are some tips and suggestions to make your trips to Machu Picchu much more rewarding and safe:
- The weather is a very important factor, look at what time you are going to visit Machu Picchu, everything has its pros and cons, they say it is better to go in the dry season (April to October) where there are not many clouds and the photos come out spectacular … but, as it is a dry season, the grass looks a little yellow, but in the rainy season (November to March) you will see the grass very green, beautiful, everything blooms … The rain clouds play tricks on us, I do not recommend them, you can miss the picture, for me, the best season is from May to July, when the grass is still green and there are no clouds … beware, that in the rainy season prices go down a lot!
- Avoid loading many things, Machu Picchu is a place to walk, and walk a lot! A small briefcase and water is recommended to take, the road is long and many times the beautiful sun is present, a cap, sunglasses and sunscreen would not be bad, but do not forget to wear a very light jacket, it is possible that the afternoon a small gust of wind, this tip to Machu Picchu is important
- The first thing you have to do when you get to Cusco is to rest for at least a couple of hours and then walk very slowly so that your body gets used to the altitude, you can take the opportunity to visit the first places in the center of the city as San Blas, the Plaza de Armas and the Stone of the 12 angles …
- Dizziness is common in height … soroche or altitude sickness, I recommend taking a pill for dizziness. Before arriving in the city (buy it in the city, not at the airport) and of course, do not eat anything heavy the first day, your body is getting used to it, remember that the soroche is due to lack of oxygen, another Good option is to buy a personal oxygen bottle in Cusco pharmacies that are not worth more than $ 20.
- A good guide makes the difference to have a good tour of Machu Picchu, keep in mind that you will receive a lot of information in a short time, ask for references of the most charismatic guides before entering the citadel (you can request it if you travel in a group) .
- First visit all the tourist sites and then visit the museums of Cusco, to better understand the explanations of the guide and learn more, remember that most of the archaeological pieces are in the museums.
- The Inca Trail is super cool! Good for adventure tourism, but keep in mind that you must have very good physical condition or at least willpower, in addition to equipment and proper equipment, in the rainy season is extremely tired, read more on this subject in the article ” How to get to Machu Picchu – Train or Inca Trail “.
- If you pass through Ollantaytambo remember that the wind is strong, glasses are needed to protect against the gusts of wind and dirt that can enter the eyes.
- Always wear light and sporty clothes, a sweater or jacket by hand at all times, the weather is very variable, rain, sun, cold heat, everything is possible in Cusco, this is an important tip.
- All services and trains to Machu Picchu are not the same and there is much difference in the categories of them, this should be known when considering a trip from Cusco, the train station is half an hour by taxi and the train that going to Machu Picchu has a duration of 4 hours of travel (depending on what type of train trip), the economy class trip is really economical, but it can be very uncomfortable, on the other hand, the trip in a higher class or First class is amazing, majestic, fantastic, but … it can be extremely expensive
- Remember that our travel agency must accurately coordinate bus routes, before and after the train because if you do not do it in advance you will lose a lot of time and money looking for mobility or taxis in the area.
- When you go up to Machu Picchu, keep in mind that everything is more expensive upstairs, if you want to bring water to take, some accessory or something else to buy in the city of Aguas Calientes.
- An important point, the mountain that is next to Machu Picchu and appears in all the photos called Huayna Picchu has ruins not very visited by tourism, if you arrive before 1: At 00 pm you can climb, but remember that it is very difficult, no experience of climbing is required, but I know people who have stayed in the middle of the road, it is worth mentioning that this mountain should not be climbed in the rainy season.
- The experience in Machu Picchu is one full day, you leave at 6:00 am and return to the city of Cusco at 8:00 pm.
If you follow these recommendations you just have to enjoy one of the new wonders of the world …